RootsTech 2017 is 3 weeks away. Time to get organized!
- Classes: Decide which classes you want to attend. This is probably the hardest as there are going to be multiple classes that you would love to attend all happening at the same time. Decide on your top 3 choices. Then, if your number one class is full you are ready with your next choice. Use the RootsTech App to keep track of your personalized daily schedule.
- Family History Library: Build in time in your schedule for the Family History Library. I am heading up a day early to take advantage of the proximity of the Library to the Salt Palace Convention Center where RootsTech 2017 is taking place. Make sure you know what you want to look at in the Library and make good use of your research time. The Family History Library is a black hole when it comes to how fast time flies whilst there!
- Network: RootsTech is a great place for networking with friends and colleagues. It’s a great place to make new contacts too. Make the effort to meet in person those genie friends you know online. It doesn’t hurt to have a business card to hand out!
- Electronics: almost every RootsTech attendee will have their laptop or tablet with them. Some attendees take notes on them or quickly look up a new website being mentioned by a presenter. You’ll want your updated genealogy software program on there, especially if you plan to do research at the Family History Library. Don’t forget those chargers.
- Comfy shoes! No need to explain further. The Salt Palace Convention Center is huge, you’ll be walking a lot.
I like to print out the syllabus for each session and use that to make notes on. I also write where that session will be taking place on the top of the handout. I then file them in the order the classes will be happening each day. As of the time of writing, the syllabi for each session is not on the RootsTech website yet but they do seem to be available via the RootsTech app. I was able to click on the session I am interested in and page to the bottom where a link appears for the syllabus (if the presenter has one). By tapping on it you can select to either Take Notes on the Handout, Download Handout or Email Handout.
Learn more about RootsTech 2017 here. See you in Salt Lake!